Best Fitness Tracker Apps for Android and iPhone – 2023 Review
Fitness tracking apps allow users to monitor and analyze key health and activity metrics like steps taken, distance covered, calories burned, heart rate, sleep patterns and more. These apps work seamlessly with wearable devices like smartwatches and fitness trackers to collect workout and health data. This comprehensive guide covers the top fitness tracking apps for Android and iPhone in 2023 based on:
- Tracking capabilities – Steps, distance, calories, heart rate, sleep etc.
- Compatibility – Integration with wearables like Apple Watch and Fitbit
- Features – Goal setting, challenges, social, analytics
- Ease of use – User interface and navigation
- Motivation – Gamification, rewards, reminders
- Price – Free or paid subscriptions
We tested and compared the most popular fitness tracking apps to provide recommendations based on experience, features, accuracy and value.
Benefits of Fitness Tracking Apps
Here are some of the key benefits provided by using dedicated fitness tracking apps:
- Consolidated view – See all your health stats like steps, weight, sleep in one place.
- Motivation – Set goals, compete with others, earn rewards.
- Insights – Analyze trends and patterns in your activity.
- Compatibility – Sync data from wearables and other apps.
- Reminders – Prompts to stay active throughout the day.
- Support – Get guidance on workouts and nutrition.
- Sharing – Share achievements with friends.
- Fun – Makes getting fit interesting through gamification.
The right fitness app can give you the extra push you need to improve your activity levels and overall health.
Top Fitness Tracking Apps for Android and iPhone
Here are the best fitness tracking apps recommended for Android and iPhone devices:
|App||Highlights||Free Version||Premium Pricing|
|MyFitnessPal||Calorie counter, nutrition tracker||Full app access||$9.99/month|
|Fitbit||Great for Fitbit users, social features||Limited features||$9.99/month|
|MapMyRun||GPS run tracker, training plans||Full app access||$5.99/month|
|Runtastic||Audio coaching, progress tracking||Limited features||$4.99/month|
|Strava||Social fitness network, activity feed||Limited features||$5/month|
|Samsung Health||Best for Samsung users, clean interface||Full app access||N/A|
Below we explore each of these top fitness tracking apps in more detail:
MyFitnessPal is the most popular calorie counter and diet tracking app available for Android and iPhone. Key features:
- Huge database of 6+ million food items
- Barcode scanner to log meals
- Set daily calorie and nutrient goals
- Track calories consumed and burned
- Log weight to track progress
- Integrates with apps like Fitbit and Garmin
- Social features to motivate and compete
MyFitnessPal makes it incredibly easy to track your nutrition and fitness to lose weight in a healthy way. The app is free to use with a premium subscription available.
2. Fitbit App
Fitbit’s official app is the best companion for Fitbit trackers and smartwatches like the Fitbit Sense and Versa series. Notable features:
- Sync your Fitbit device to track steps, heart rate, sleep stages, and more
- Log food, water intake, weight, and activities
- Set goals for metrics like steps, weight loss etc.
- Earn badges for milestones
- Compete on leaderboards
- Stay motivated with reminders and notifications
- Premium subscription unlocks guidance, insights and challenges
The Fitbit app provides a great fitness tracking experience for Fitbit users with its tight integration across devices.
MapMyRun is a top GPS tracking app for runners and cyclists available for Android and iPhone. Why MapMyRun?
- Uses phone’s GPS to map running, cycling and walking routes
- Tracks time, distance, pace, speed, elevation
- Audio feedback on progress during workout
- Training plans for 5K, 10K races
- Syncs activities from Apple Watch or wearables
- Analyze performance trends over time
- Connect and compete with friends
MapMyRun makes tracking outdoor activities like running, cycling and hiking easy with its accurate GPS tracking capabilities.
Runtastic is a popular fitness tracking ecosystem with over 20 apps covering activities like running, cycling, strength training etc. Notable features:
- GPS run and cycle tracking
- Voice coaching and motivation during activities
- Customizable dashboards
- Syncs with wearables like Apple Watch
- Progress reports and analysis
- Social feed to share activities
- Freemium model – free app with paid subscription
Runtastic offers a solid fitness tracking experience especially for outdoor activities like running with its detailed statistics and audio guidance.
Strava is a social fitness network for tracking running, cycling and swimming activities. Key highlights:
- Track activities using phone’s GPS
- Segments feature compares you against route sections
- Leaderboards to compete with others
- Clubs and challenges to stay motivated
- Activity feed to share workouts
- Compatible with wearables and smartwatches
- Additional analysis with paid subscription
With its competitive social features, Strava aims to provide motivation through community along with tracking your fitness activities.
6. Samsung Health
Samsung Health is the official health tracking app for Samsung phones and wearables. Why choose Samsung Health?
- Clean and simple interface
- Track steps, heart rate, stress, sleep, oxygen etc.
- Set daily goals and view trends
- Monitor nutrition, water intake and weight
- Integrates seamlessly with Samsung smartwatches
- Offers personalized programs and challenges
- Provides health tips and guidance
Samsung Health makes it easy to track health and fitness especially for Samsung device owners through its straightforward interface.
Comparing Fitness Tracking Apps
Here is an overview of how some of the top fitness tracking apps compare based on key aspects:
|App||Tracking Capability||Wearable Integration||Social Features||Motivation|
|MyFitnessPal||Nutrition tracking||Compatible with many||Groups, friends||Reminders, progress charts|
|Fitbit||Steps, heart rate, sleep||Seamless Fitbit sync||Groups, leaderboards||Badges, challenges|
|MapMyRun||GPS run tracking||Apple Watch, Garmin etc.||Leaderboards||Audio coaching|
|Runtastic||GPS tracking, heart rate||Compatible wearables||Social feed sharing||Voice coaching|
|Strava||GPS tracking||Compatible wearables||Challenges, clubs||Segments and leaderboards|
|Samsung Health||Steps, heart rate, stress||Samsung wearables||Together challenges||Progress reports|
This comparison shows that while all these apps offer solid fitness tracking capabilities, they differ in terms of wearable device integration, social features, and motivation provided to the user.
Choosing the Right Fitness Tracking App
Here are some tips to select the best fitness tracking app as per your needs:
- Your wearable – Pick an app that seamlessly integrates with your device like Fitbit or Apple Watch.
- Type of activity – Choose an app specialized for your activity like running or cycling.
- Social motivation – Do you want to compete with friends and join fitness communities?
- Simplicity – Prioritize an easy to use interface if you need straightforward tracking.
- Premium features – Consider if you require advanced analytics and coaching.
- Health tracking – Apps like Samsung Health provide more holistic health tracking.
Try out some top app options to determine which one best fits your fitness tracking needs and motivates you the most.
Fitness tracking apps and wearables go hand in hand when it comes to monitoring your health and keeping fit. This guide covered apps like MyFitnessPal, Fitbit, MapMyRun, Runtastic, Strava and Samsung Health as the top options for Android and iPhone users. Choose an app that tracks the activities you want, provides useful motivation through social features and goal setting, and integrates well with your wearable device. The right fitness tracking app can give you the extra nudge you need to smash your health and fitness goals.